The Resurgence is starting a series of posts on “The Preacher’s Voice.” The first installment was about preventing strain on your voice. Here are some tips:
- Rise early and drink warm liquid, such as water with fresh lemon juice.
- Do not have a large meal before speaking.
- Exercise early and lightly on the day of preaching.
- Do not nap before public speaking.
- Stay calm and avoid strain the night before preaching.
- Do some light public speaking before preaching.
- Pronounce words clearly and distinctly; mispronounced words cause strain.
- Keep room temperature water with you and sip throughout preaching.
- Do not force excitement; let it come naturally.
- Adequately test the PA system before preaching.
- Do not use excessive bass in the PA system.
- Change up your pace during the message.
- Rest your voice after preaching