Here’s a talk worth making time to listen to,
John Piper’s final message in Bonn, titled “Preach Christ,” called pastors to…
- Preach the truth that God’s highest goal in history is the display of his own glory.
- Preach that it is loving for God to do what he has to do to open our eyes to see his glory.
- Preach the cross from its eternal foundation in the past to its eternal consummation in the future.
- Preach conversion as the Holy Spirit’s act of opening blind eyes to see the glory of Christ in the gospel (2 Cor. 4:4-6).
- Preach sanctification as the effect of seeing the glory of Christ (2 Cor. 3:18).
John Piper said that 1 Corinthians 15:3 may be the clearest definition of the gospel in the Bible. It shows us 6 aspects of the gospel:
- The cross was planned (“in accordance with the Scriptures”).
- The gospel is a historical event (“Christ died”).
- The death of Christ achieved something (“for our sins”).
- That achievement is freely offered to everyone for faith alone. If that achievement were offered on the basis of my performance in any measure, there would be no gospel.
- When I do believe in Jesus, the achievement is applied to me.
- The end of the gospel is to see and enjoy the glory of God. God is our highest treasure; we are reconciled and forgiven and justified and given eternal life to enjoy God (1 Peter 3:18).
When we are fully and finally purchased and converted and sanctified in this way, then we will be fully satisfied in God and God will be fully glorified in us. And that’s why the universe was created and exists.
(notes from Desiring God)