So, I am working on Philippians 2:6-11 for our upcoming worship gathering. In my sermon prep throughout the week, and again after the studying is complete, I typically ask myself a number of questions. These questions help to clarify and correct my preaching even before I stand up on Sunday.
1. Does this message exalt the gospel of Jesus Christ?
2. Will people know what to do after hearing the message?
3. Am I saying anything that will distract from the point I am trying to make?
4. Do I, at any point, make much of myself in this sermon?
5. Would I like this to be the last sermon I ever preach?
Read more from Joe Thorn, including explanatory comments on each of his questions above.