I have discovered at least five paths to getting down under God. These are not in any way formulaic, but are patterns to help tune your heart and life into the centrality of God in preaching:
- Preach out of your core identity as shepherd.
- Value dependence on God more than mechanics.
- Pray for God’s “sacred anointing.”
- Seek to be filled with God.
- Aim for God’s pleasure in preaching.
Again, I caution against putting God in a box and relying on a formula to tap into his power. But I firmly believe that as we understand and practice these principles, we can truly move our communication from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
Read more on Extraordinary Communication from E. Glenn Wagner